The 4th Asian-Pacific City Summit
Duration of the Conference
- July 13-July 15, 2000
- Busan, Republic of Korea
- Economic Development of Asian-Pacific City for the New Millennium
- 1. Enhancing Inter-City Exchanges and Trade
- 2. Measures to Grow Tourism Industry
- Dr.Kim Chul-Soo, Former WTO Deputy Director-General
- How to Promote Cooperation between Cities in the Asia Pasific Region in the Era of iuternationalization : Challenges and Opportunities
- Paradise Hotel Busan
- 1408-5 Joong-dong, Haeundae-gu, Busan Metropolitan City
- 22 Cities from 11 Countries and Regions
- Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Representative of Participating Cities
- Auckland (New Zealand) / Mayor / Christine Fletcher
- Bangkok (Kingdom of Thailand) / Deputy Permanent Secretary to the BMA / Nathanon Thavisin
- Brisbane (Australia) / Deputy Mayor&Councillor / Tim Quinn
- Dalian (People's Republic of China) / Executive Deputy Mayor / Li Yongjin
- Fukuoka (Japan) / Mayor / Hirotaro Yamasaki
- Guangzhou (People's Republic of China) / Vice Mayor of Guangzhou / Wang Shouchu
- Ho Chi Minh City (Socialist Republic of Viet Nam) / Chairman of Ho Chi Minh City People's Committee / Vo Viet Thanh
- Honolulu (United States of America) / Executive Director of the Office of Economic Development / Manuel C. Menendez, III
- Ipoh (Malaysia) / Mayor / Dato' Talaat Bin Husain
- Jakarta (Republic of Indonesia) / Governor / H.E.Sutiyoso
- Kagoshima (Japan) / Mayor / Yoshinori Akasaki
- Kitakyushu (Japan) / Mayor / Koichi Sueyoshi
- Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) / Deputy Director of Cultural&Social Services Division / Zainal Abidin Mohd Zain
- Kumamoto (Japan) / Mayor / Yasuyuki Misumi
- Manila (Republic of the Philippines) / Secretary to the Mayor / Atty Emmanuel R. Sison
- Miyazaki (Japan) / Mayor / Shigemitsu Tsumura
- Nagasaki (Japan) / Deputy Mayor / Nobuhiro Uchida
- Oita (Japan) / Deputy Mayor / Masayuki Mori
- Saga (Japan) / Mayor / Toshiyuki Kinoshita
- Shanghai (People's Republic of China) / Deputy Secretary-General / Yin Yichi
- Urumqi (People's Republic of China) / Mayor of Urumqi City / Nur Bakry
- Vladivostok (Russian Federation) / Vice Mayor / Vladimir Saprykin
- Busan (Republic of Korea) / Mayor / Ahn Sang-Young
- Languages (Japanese, English, Chinese and Korean)
Joint Declaration : Busan Declaration
The 4th Asian-Pacific City Summit, aimed at promoting common prosperity among cities of Asia and the Pacific which are emerging as the center of global growth, was held from May 13(Saturday) and 14(Sunday), 2000 in Busan City, the first and foremost port city of the Republic of Korea.
At the Busan Summit, held under the theme of "Economic Development of Asian-Pacific Cities in the New Millennium," participants had discussions on economic issues of East Asia and the need to strengthen inter-city networks as well as the need to promote economic exchanges and tourism was recognized.
Based on the views exchanged and proposals made for the common prosperity of the Asian-Pacific region, delegates from 22 Cities in 11 countries to the 4th Asian-Pacific City Summit hereby adopt the following 5 points as the Busan Declaration.
- 1. As we enter the new millennium, participating cities shall fully utilize the networks built between them to expand exchanges in various areas and to strengthen cooperation.
- 2. In order to promote economic cooperation, new areas for exchanges and cooperation shall be actively identified, while opinions of private sector businessmen shall be taken into account to promote trade and investment.
- 3. Participating cities shall work together toward the promotion of tourism in the region and pursue environment-friendly tourism policies. To achieve this goal, they will positively review the possibility of establishing of Tourism Promotion Organization for Asian Pacific Cities under the framework of the Asian-Pacific City Summit.
- 4. Working level meetings shall continue to take place in order to enhance efficiency and substance of the Asian-Pacific City Summit.
- 5. The 5th Asian-Pacific City Summit shall be held in 2002 in Fukuoka, Japan and the 4th working level meeting shall be held in 2001 in Busan Metropolitan City.
- May 14, 2000, Busan Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea