From the beautiful scenic coastal line of Beppu Bay, to the wild monkeys living on Mt. Takasaki, and to the rivers meandering through the city, Oita City is a nature-rich metropolis. Oita City also has some of the biggest cutting-edge manufacturing businesses in the nation. With the well-balance of nature and industrial infrastructure, Oita City is an important strategic center of Eastern Kyushu.
In recent years, redevelopment of the urban area around the JR Oita Station is underway. It includes the elevation of the train station, and the opening of HorutoHall Oita, the City's complex facility, and JR Oita City, a 21-story station building that accommodates commercial facilities, a hotel, and a spa facility. The area is expected to be developed further as the "gateway" of prefectural capital.
- 478,517 (end of April, 2015)
Number of Households
- 213,333 (end of April, 2015)
- 502.39 km2 (end of April, 2015)
- 952.48 /km2 (end of April, 2015)
Gross City Product per Industry
- Primary Industry: 7,692 million yen
- Secondary Industry: 771,337 million yen
- Tertiary Industry: 1,415,548 million yen
Number of Employees per Industry
- Number of Establishments / Employees
- Primary Industry: 72 / 1,094
- Secondary Industry: 3,001 / 50,561
- Tertiary Industry: 17,561 / 185,714
Annual Income per Capita
- 3,233 thousand yen (2008)
Major Industries and Products
Manufacturing, Services, Wholesale&Retail
- (1) Realizing a warm and friendly Oita City for all citizens
- (2) Making Oita City vibrant with energetic SMEs, agriculture, forestry, and fishery
- (3) Providing administrative services in which officers work hard for its citizens
- (4) Working together with citizens, prefectural government and national government, Oita City promotes projects that will bring dream, hope and pride for its future.
- (5) Tokyo 2020 Olympic & Paralympic Games will be a big opportunity for Oita City to make a leap forward.
Revenue of the city budget
- 169,008,000 thousand yen (FY 2014)
Number of City Employees
- 3,214 (May 2015)
Sister Cities (Countries), etc.
- 【Sister Cities】
- Aveiro (Portugal), Wuhan (China), Austin (USA)
- 【Mutual Exchange Promotion City】